$631,000 FOR BEGA COMMUNITY PROJECTS
Member for Bega Andrew Constance announced today the NSW Liberals & Nationals Government is investing over $631,000 upgrading and maintaining local community facilities and reserves.
Mr Constance said the projects being funded are vital for our local Land Managers to maintain these crown assets for the benefit of our communities.
The Old Bega Hospital, Candelo, Cobargo and Bemboka Showgrounds and the Tantawangalo Reserve Trust are now all able to finalise projects and improve their on ground experiences.
The Old Bega Hospital Reserve Trust should now be able to finalise the full restoration of the building destroyed by fire in 2004, returning the main building for use as a community and cultural centre. These funds follow $3 million announced in February 2019 for the project,” Mr Constance said.
“The new fence at Candelo Showground will improve the showground’s appearance and ensure cattle and horses are kept safely and securely, protecting animals taking part in events like the Candelo Campdraft, Candelo Show, and Equestrian Australia and pony club clinics.”
“The Cobargo Showground will benefit from shade covering over spectator areas and Bemboka Showground will have their rotunda and amenities upgraded.
“Tantawangalo Trust will get a refreshed picnic area in the reserve including a map of the reserve and recreation spaces which will be displayed on-site for visitors and information boards and erected at the picnic area with information on local history and native vegetation,” said Mr Constance.
Minister for Water, Property and Housing Melinda Pavey said the investment is part of the $16.5 million Crown Reserves Improvement Fund to upgrade reserves and facilities on Crown lands in regional communities doing it tough.
“Regional NSW is in the grip of the worst drought on record. It’s important that each of our regional towns have places to come together as a community which is why we are investing in upgrades to these local facilities,” Mrs Pavey said.
“Crown land covers 42 per cent of the state and is designed to be used by the people of NSW and support organisations that are the lifeblood of our communities.
The investment includes:
- $463,100 toward repairs on the main building at the heritage-listed Old Bega Hospital to repair damage caused by a fire in 2004.
- $19,800 to replace the outer fence at Candelo Showground with a new stock safe metal fence.
- $41,000 toward construction of a roof over spectator seating beside the main ring at Cobargo Showground to replace temporary tarpaulin shelter roofs and provide greater safety and comfort for showground visitors.
- $17,666 toward upgrading the rotunda and amenities block at Bemboka Showground.
- $1,737 to go to signs, a fire pit and barbecue at Tantawangalo Recreation Reserve.
- $88,166 will also be invested in weed control on Crown reserves across the region. This is important to protect our local ecology and keep our public reserves healthy and functional.”